Philadelphia Green Roofs Help You While Helping the Environment
When it is time to install new philadelphia roofing on your home, you should consider the benefits that a green roof will provide you. Green roofs will benefit both you and the environment. In fact, green roofs can help the environment in a number of ways.
While ordinary roofing material such as asphalt and composition shingles do an excellent job of protecting your home from the outside elements, they can actually cause harm to the environment. When it rains, the water runs off the roof. That runoff will take harmful contaminants with it. Eventually the water will make its way to local streams and rivers.
Some of the ways that green roofs can help you and the environment include:
1. Plant based green roofs can prevent that run-off by absorbing the rainfall before it can flow off the roof. That water can be used for other things.
2. Your home will stay cooler because the roofing material can absorb the sun’s harmful rays.
3. Green roofs conserve energy and can keep you from wasting money on heating and cooling bills
4. Certain green roofing materials can reduce the heat island effect and lower summer temperatures. The heat island effect, which is created when asphalt and other surfaces absorb the heat from the sun, can raise temperatures in your home and in your community
5. Green roofing materials need less maintenance and will need to be replaced less often, which will help you and the environment
While many green roofs are actually made of vegetation such as plants and grass, you do not have to plant a garden on your roof to enjoy the benefits of a green roof. In fact, roofing materials such as slate and metal are excellent green roofing materials. They will last for many years and can save you money on your energy bills.
Metal roofs can last up to 50 years, which means that you will not be filling the local landfill every 15 years when you have to replace your asphalt shingle roof. They are virtually maintenance free and they are extremely energy efficient. You can save hundreds of dollars on your heating and cooling bill by having a metal roof installed on your home.
A green roof is good for you and it is good for the environment too. There are many ways to ensure that you have a green roof, including having environmentally friendly roofing materials installed on your home. Roofs that do not have to be replaced every fifteen years are good for the environment and good for your pocketbook. Be sure to speak to your roofing contractor about all of the benefits of a green roof. Your contractor will help you choose a roofing material that will work well for your home.